The withdrawal of the world ranking points of Wimbledon caused a shared echo for tennis professionals at the start of the French Open.
“I don’t say that the ATP made a wrong decision, but we would rather play for points,” said American John Isner. However, he is on the side of the ATP, which had decided with the WAT not to become the results of Wimbledon for the world rankings this year. The player organizations had announced this in response to the procedure of the tournament organizers from London not to allow Russian and Belarusian players to be allowed for the lawn highlight (June 27 to July 10).
Like Isner, his compatriot Sloane Stephens sees no reason to exclude the players concerned. “If you think about what our tour stands for, discrimination will never be tolerated,” said the former US Open winner: “That is exactly what happens.”
The Hungarian Marton Fucsovics, number 55 in the world, had previously complained to social networks that there was no chance of preventing a clear slip in the ranking due to the loss of the previous year’s points.
The former third of Dominic Thiem tried to relativize. “I think it is a difficult decision and probably very painful for some players,” he said after leaving on Sunday: “The real problem lies in Ukraine, and we hope that peace will soon be there again.”
Articles and videos on the topic
* Thiem: “Think about Challenger tournaments after”
* Top sport live on dazn. Register now! Can be canceled at any time.